Moving on from Hospital

At some point the stay in Hospital comes to an end. 

That could mean the patient is ready to go home or it could mean they may be moving to a stroke ward or to a rehabilitation centre. 

Stroke Ward  

The injury to the brain caused by a stroke can lead to widespread and long-lasting problems.

Although some people may recover quickly, many people who have a stroke need long-term support to help them regain as much independence as possible.

This process of rehabilitation depends on the symptoms and their severity.

A team of different specialists may help with your rehabilitation, including physiotherapists, psychologists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, dietitians, and specialist nurses and doctors.

You'll be encouraged to actively participate in the rehabilitation process and work with your care team to set goals you want to achieve during your recovery.

Rehabilitation Centre 

In more severe cases, some patients will be transferred to Rehabilitation Units. Here they will receive complex care and intensive rehabilitation. Patients will be encouraged to actively participate in a variety of activities and will have a team of professionals working alongside them. 

Going Home after Hospital

Going home after hospital can not only be exciting but also an anxious time.  After all, the patient and those close to them, have just gone through a very traumatic experience which may mean some lifestyle changes. 

Before going home Doctors will have conversations with you (and the patient) when they feel they may be ready to go home, they will also discuss what help there is available and put together a care plan. You may also be put in touch with a social worker where a care needs assessment may be done regarding ongoing care.

Having this assessment will enable the patient to have access to any mobility aids in and around the home, ongoing care and more. 

You can find more information about going home after a stroke or help in your local community at 


What to do if you're unhappy with your hospital discharge 

You can complain if you're unhappy with your hospital discharge, or the discharge of someone you know.

For example, if:

  • the hospital plans to discharge you before you think it's safe
  • you don't think your discharge assessment was done correctly

Speak to the hospital staff who arranged your discharge.

It might help to get advice from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) or the charity POhWER who can provide help with NHS health complaints.


Headway UK - There are several branches across the UK. At Headway individuals who have suffered an acquired brain injury are welcome to join the day centre and focus on rehabilitation, including speech and language, cognitive skills and more. 

Day Centres - There may be other day centres in your local community. There are also events for carers, these can be really good places to talk to others who can understand and relate. 


Personal attribute

Gavin was taken to CERU in Leamington Spa for intensive rehabilitation.

Here he made some improvements and a few weeks before leaving, had his trachy removed. A huge goal achieved. Gav also started to look up for yes and look down for no which meant we had some form of communication. Gavin could also smile, and had started moving his fingers and toes. These were all amazing steps in his recovery. 

For more information about CERU click the following link