The last thing anyone should have to worry about when they are ill or someone they love is unwell, is finances. But unfortunately, it can be a very worrying time for many. 

Some people have to cut down their hours at work or  stop working to care for their loved one. 

If you concerned about your finances, speaking to all agencies, is the best thing you can do. You're not the first and you certainly won't be the last person affected in this way. Sometimes things happen out of our control. 

What to do 

The sooner you can contact agencies, the better. 

Inform work straight away, you may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay.

Inform your local council if you are a council tenant. Many housing associations/council's are very supportive and understanding in these situations and your housing officer will be able to give you advice and support regarding rent payments etc. 

If you are a homeowner contact your bank/lender as soon as possible. Payments may be able to be frozen for a short period. Again, advice and support will be given. 

Apply for benefits

These may include PIP - Personal independence payment. Although they won't make any payments whilst the patient is in hospital, it allows you to apply and have everything in place for when the patient is home. Making a claim for PIP can take anything up to 12 weeks so it's important to make a claim as soon as possible. It's better to call as you can explain your situation fully and they can advise you. 

Carers allowance - find the link in 'useful links'

Direct payments - find the link in 'useful links'

Universal credit - you can apply online or call

Employment Support Allowance - you can apply online or call

Housing benefit

Council tax (reduced rate) 

Find out more information here 

Take a look at the useful links page to explore these benefits further. 



From left to right: Jazz (Gavin's Sister), Brian (Gavin's Dad), Dawn (Gavin's mums) Gavin himself and Billy (Gavin's Brother) 

Create Your Own Website With Webador